Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Plastic Surgery 101's winter music recs - Samples, Samples Everywhere!


Someone wrote me the other day asking if I'd do another post on music after stumbling across my last group of recs in May (see here). I've gotten interested in how some artists are incorporating sampled guitar/rhythm loops into their acts, especially in live performances, so I think I'll point to some of my favorites!

Master of the sampled loop, Imogene Heap in "Just for Now". How the heck she can keep track of all these samples during this performance I have no idea. Absolutely jaw dropping! I also suggest the beautiful "Hide and Seek" which is introduced by NBC's "Scrubs" star, actor Zach Braff BTW.


KT Tunstall's "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree" live on the Today Show in 2006. This performance single handedly launched her career in the United States.


Yoav's creepy acoustic "Club Thing". His song "Beautiful Lie" is also really neat with the samples


The Kills industrial-tinged "Getting Down". There's a great feature on them on the Sundance channels' Live from Abbey Road series. Must see TV!


The Yeah Yeah Yeah's "Maps". This is an a great acoustic version. For the an extreme electrified live version go here


Please feel free to leave any suggestions in the comments for interesting music! I'm always looking for new stuff.

Rob

No comments: